Monday, March 12, 2012

Just seeing things or possible confirmation?

So with my last (non-)post, I said I'd share about my deja-vu moment.  Here's what happened on Saturday:

I went to go hunting for black pants to wear when I started at Starbucks.  I was hoping my black jeans would be okay but was cautioned by my brother, Cedric, to keep within trouser and khaki territory.  I have one pair of black trousers from GAP that I bought in anticipation of me going back to work at NTCBC (and realistic expectation that I would not be down to pre-pregnancy size, le sigh) but I didn't want to wear those out or wear something so thin for a job that requires more physical labour.  With just two days left before my first day at work, off I went.

Before my hunt began, though, I decided to buy groceries and since the weather was quite cold that day, I figured whatever I bought would stay fine in my trunk (which thankfully they did).  Since I went to No Frills at Centerpoint, I figured I may as well check the cost-effective possibilities at Zellers before traipsing off to Mark's Work Wear House and/or Sears at Fairview Mall.  I wasn't very keen on the idea and I still had to have lunch so I made a deal with myself: If I can find parking fairly close to an entrance, I'll go in.  If not, I'll have lunch.

I find a spot not too far from a set of doors so I honour my deal and park.  After browsing through the Alfred Sung "Pure" line (yes, brand names give me more hope), I wandered to the $20 clearance section and happened across a black button-down collared shirt.  Now, I didn't mention this before but seriously, it's so hard to find a simple solid black button-down/polo collared shirt!  Either they have a mandarin collar or some pattern or are too short (I need to be able to tuck it in).  I can't explain my cautious excitement at finding this shirt - and for $20, no less!  I tried it on and it fit pretty well despite the low-key ruffles along the buttons.  No peek-a-boo holes or weird pulling or unnecessarily showing mommy rolls.  It actually... made me look good.

Before I could be too happy, I had to make sure it was $20 since it had no tag.  I found the lady working in the area and she said she'd find out for me.

All of a sudden it hit me: I've seen this before.  I remember distinctly having a dream about shopping for clothes in preparation for a return to Starbucks and needing to confirm the price.  Why I remember this so particularly is because when I woke up, I actually chuckled to myself and said, "That'd never happen because you're past you Starbucks years now!"  I told the whole dream and comment to Benny (who, of course, doesn't remember) and chalked it off to me just remembering a contented time gone by.

So here I was, standing in the middle of the Zellers' ladies' department, realizing that I had seen this all before.  I did get a bit giddy, wondering if this was some kind of confirmation that I'm on the right path for life or something.  But, despite whatever "Feeling" and "Intuition" sides I have in me, I wouldn't let myself get too far in daydreaming the implications of a dream meeting my reality.  Whether I am "meant" to be at Starbucks is yet to be seen.  I admit I do hope that with this stint I will go farther up the ladder than last time - as in, this time I have ambitions to do so - but I don't know how that would even play out.  I haven't even been certified as a barista yet!  I may have worked 4 years with the Company but I have also been away for 4 years.

Anyhoo, to finish up the Zellers bit of my day, the lady returned and said the shirt was indeed part the $20 clearance and to bring another shirt in for the cashier to ring it in.  I paid and went on to find 2 awesome black pants at Mark's (3 if you count a brown plaid one I bought for fun).  I wore the shirt today and it served me well.

So, if I'm still blogging in 5 years, 10 years time, we'll see what's become of this deja-vu moment.  I do have ambitions, you see, and they do include Starbucks, you see, but whether these ambitions will be realized is yet to be seen.  I must confess, though, that seeing my dream again in my own reality has added a sparkle in my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment