Thursday, March 15, 2012

Back again

There was something I wanted to blog about but I can't remember it now so I figure I'll chat about my time so far at Starbucks.

As I've tweeted (twittered?), it's like living out a dream, not in the "This is fantastic!" way, although it is, but more of when you're actually dreaming and everything's the same but different: you know you're at home but the layout's a bit off or you're at work but your computer is not the same.

At the core, everything's still the same.  We serve coffee quick, we serve bar drinks as tasty as possible, we serve frappa-lappas to keep custies cool during this jump in warm weather.

What we do to achieve these objectives, though, has definitely changed.  Coffee's changed quicker, bar drinks are made completely individually, frappas are now customize-able and I have yet to learn about the smoothies.  There's actually more pressure than there was before to keep things on time because quality standards have been raised.

That just means there's more opportunity to fall.  There are some baristas who treat this no more than a job so quality can easily drop.  With a high-volume store possibilities for lesser-than doubles because there is so much to catch up with.  My mantra for my first hour on the floor was "Don't rush, don't rush" because I had the above working against with me along with just plainly being rusty.  For others, I think they need to add some more urgency but that's just from my newbie perspective.  I haven't finished training yet and perhaps those who seem laid back are prevented by policy and standards not to do more in the role they have been placed in for the day.

My reflective learning so far has been not to assess too quickly and allow people the space to grow on me.  There was one guy who looked at me like I had a third eye but eventually we seemed to be comfortable around each other.  I took a chance to ask him a question as part of my training and we had an opportunity to open up to each other.  Another guy I mistook for someone else I met on my first day and when he corrected me, I thought he was joking.  =X  I'll need to smooth that over with him next time we meet.  It's been a bit awkward working with him.

So my third shift is tomorrow, 9-2.  Don't know if I'll be on the floor but if you're in the store (Park Home at North York Civic Center), gimme a shout!

No comments:

Post a Comment