Sunday, July 1, 2012

So apparently I've been wearing the wrong size

Bras.  We love 'em, we hate 'em, they make us feel pretty, they constrain us.  And I just found out I've been wearing 4 sizes too wrong for me.

I won't list my size (privacy, please!) but for years I thought I was XX, even buying nursing bras around that size.  Now I'm told I'm YY, which I stare at skeptically still.  Especially when - excuse the graphic which may pop in your head - the rib cage band is smaller than what I usually wear and, ahem, allows for some fleshy spillage above and below the band.  I originally thought for this reason alone I was XX and would never, EVER, had thought that I was YY.

Having been gently scolded otherwise by the consultant, I picked up 2 cheapie bras to start my replacement of XX's to go with the halter I was buying for a dress I'm wearing at a wedding.  Buying cheapie means buying flashy though, especially with the new La Senza since the Victoria Secret take-over (as in, the company owning VS bought LS).  I rather liked the demure, understated sexiness of La Senza, and the quality was decent.  I know that the trend now is to show your bra without fear of being labelled trashy but I really don't like paying more to have to show less.  It's like we're forced to be "non-trashy" unless we have enough dough to acquire otherwise.

I shall test-drive my cheapie YY tomorrow and see how things fare.  Perhaps I'll feel prettier but with a smaller band, I'll definitely feel more constrained - except for that inevitable spillage.  What to do with that spillage?!

No comments:

Post a Comment